Erika Nagae and Erika Van Steensburg, The Black Cat Cakery, www.theblackcatcakery.com
Reproduced from Didsbury Dinners: The Low-Carbon Community Cookbook
- 250g/9oz/1¼ cups light brown muscovado or demerara sugar
- 225g/8oz/approx 1 cup sunflower oil
- 200ml/approx ½ pint apple concentrate or rice syrup
- Zest and juice of 2 oranges
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 550g/1lb 4oz/5 cups plain flour
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp bicarbonate soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 225g/8oz carrot, grated
- 550g/1lb 4oz parsnip, grated
- 225g/8oz golden raisins, soaked in hot water
- 2 inches stem ginger (peeled and chopped)
- 225g/8oz sliced almonds or chopped walnuts (if desired)
- 250g/9oz sunflower spread
- 500g/1lb 2oz icing sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 3 inches stem gingerHeat oven to 175°C/350°F/gas mark 4.Grease tin or line with greaseproof paper. Use either a rectangular tin (13 x 9 x 2 inches/33 x 23 x 5 cms) or a round tin (11 x 2 inches/28 x 5 cms).Beat sugar, oil, apple concentrate/rice syrup, orange juice, orange zest and vanilla until blended.
In a separate bowl mix all dry ingredients (apart from carrot, parsnip, raisins, stem ginger and nuts) until well combined.
Mix wet and dry ingredients. Once blended add carrot, parsnip, raisins (drained), stem ginger and nuts (if using). Mix until well combined.
Pour immediately into prepared tin and bake for 60 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. If the cake is not cooked in the middle but is burning on top, cover top with baking foil until cooked throughout.
Once baked, transfer to a wire rack. If using a round tin leave to cool in tin for 10 minutes and then transfer to a wire rack to cool for a further hour.
Once the cake is fully cooled, prepare icing, if desired. Beat sunflower spread, icing sugar and cinnamon until smooth.
Peel and grate stem ginger, collecting juice.
Add juice to icing little by little until the icing is smooth but not too runny.
© Amanda Woodvine for Didsbury Dinners, 2011. All rights reserved. Not to be reproduced in whole or in part without the permission of the copyright owner.
Food photography: © Chava Eichner